Over the past week, I learned about the deaths of two young men — both sons of friends. So, I offer this link to anyone else dealing with a similar loss. I attended one of these VNA groups after my father died and found much comfort there.
Dealing with the death of a loved one is among the most difficult experiences we encounter throughout life. VNA Care Network & Hospice’s bereavement counselors recommend taking the following steps to cope with a loss:
- Allow time to experience thoughts and feelings openly.
- Acknowledge and accept your emotions and feelings — positive or negative.
- Use a journal to document your thoughts and feelings.
- Confide in a trusted individual; tell the story of your loss.
- Identify any unfinished business and try to come to a resolution.
- Share grief with others experiencing a similar loss by joining a bereavement support group (see VNA Care Network & Hospice’s upcoming groups).
- Seek professional help when your grief becomes overwhelming and your feelings are out of control.